My guest today is founding member of Run-DMC, Darryl McDaniels. Darryl changed music and made history when he broke down cultural barriers with his legendary band Run-DMC. Today, he’s the publisher of Darryl Makes Comics, the author of the children’s book “Darryl’s Dream” and co-founder of the Felix Organization. We talk about his career, comics, and everything he’s doing to support children, during this podcast episode.
The 5 questions I ask in this episode:
- What influence did both Grandmaster Flash and comic books have on you growing up?
- How did the success you had with Run-D.M.C lead to depression and alcoholism and what did you do to recover?
- You co-founded a non-profit and wrote a book that supports children. How have you used these platforms to help children gain self-awareness and build self-confidence?
- We both love comics. As a kid, I collected DC but now with the Marvel Universe I’ve been collecting Marvel comics and their NFT counterparts on VeVe. How has Darryl Makes Comics allowed you to tell stories in a unique way as opposed to your music and books?
- Back in 2013, I asked Rev Run for his best piece of career advice and he said “you have to be able to do things that you know will work”. What is your best piece of career advice?
Follow Darryl’s journey: