My guest today is actress and author Mena Suvari. Mena is best known for her iconic acting roles in American Beauty and American Pie. Even though these roles made her famous, she was also dealing with abusive relationships and drugs, which she writes about in her memoir “The Great Peace”. We discuss Mena’s double life, how she’s overcome trauma, and the lessons she’s learned in this podcast episode.
The 5 questions I ask in this episode:
- With the breakout releases of American Beauty and American Pie, you were living a double life being a Hollywood star, while dealing with an abusive relationship at home. How did you manage those two different realities?
- In your memoir, you talk about an accident you had while horseback riding. How did that moment lead you down this road of facing your trauma and accepting yourself?
- Your book is called “The Great Peace”. What does it mean to you to make peace with everything you’ve been through over multiple decades?
- With a history of toxic relationships, how have you made your marriage work and what values will you instill in your child?
- What’s your best piece of career advice?
Follow Mena’s journey: