My guest today is host of Ridiculousness, professional skateboarder, and serial entrepreneur, Rob Dyrdek. Rob began skateboarding at age 11 and just a few years later he turned pro while landing his first board sponsor. He’s best known for hosting hit TV shows including Rob & Big, Ridiculousness, and Rob Dyrdek’s Fantasy Factory. Rob founded business incubator Dyrdek Machine and hosts the “Build With Rob” podcast. We talk about his journey from being a skateboarder to building his businesses in this podcast episode.
The 5 questions I ask in this episode:
- In your early 20s, you gained fame as a professional skateboarder and were able to travel the world. Despite your newfound success, why wasn’t skateboarding giving you the purpose and fulfillment you were seeking?
- You’re part skater, part TV personality, and part entrepreneur. How were you able to turn your success as a skater into a series of TV shows and into multiple businesses and partnerships?
- You’ve brought your family and friends with you much as we saw in HBO’s Entourage series. How has involving your best friend and cousins in your projects deepened your relationship with them and what have you taught them that has improved their careers?
- With so many businesses and projects happening simultaneously, how do you manage your time and decide what projects to invest or divest in?
- What’s your best piece of career advice?
Follow Rob’s journey: