My guest today is actor and author, Justin Baldoni. While you may know him from acting in Jane the Virgin or his films Five Feet Apart and Clouds, Justin has spent his life on a journey to understand what it means to be a man. After giving a TED Talk about being “man enough”, he wrote a book by that name, which we discuss in-depth during this podcast episode.
The 5 questions I ask in this episode:
- Growing up, your father defined being a man as providing for your family instead of being tough and strong. How is your view of masculinity similar to his and what you have done to make it your own?
- Over the past several years, gender roles have changed substantially from when our parents grew up with female breadwinners and stay-at-home fathers. What is your hope for how male and female relationships will evolve in the future and how masculinity and femininity will be redefined?
- How have you been raising a compassionate feminist son and what role has your daughter played in his growth as a human?
- What are some ways that men can start having more deep and vulnerable conversations instead of staying surface-level talking about things like sports?
- What is your best piece of career advice?
Follow Justin’s journey: