My guest today is singer and former Fifth Harmony member, Ally Brooke. Ally rose to fame as part of the multiplatinum music group Fifth Harmony before launching her solo career last year. She competed in ABC’s Dancing With The Stars then embarked on her Time To Shine Tour at the start of this year. After receiving billions of streams for her music through the course of her career, she wrote her memoir “Finding Your Harmony”. I spoke to Ally about her early struggles and insecurities, music influences, and her uplifting advice, which is especially important in these turbulent times, for this podcast episode.
The 5 questions I ask in this episode:
- Even though you are of Mexican-American descent, you didn’t know Spanish as a child because your parents wanted to protect you from discrimination at school. How do you think their decision impacted your childhood and how have you embraced your heritage ever since?
- Since you’re the only entertainer in your family, who did you look up to how they did they influence you as an artist and your career choices?
- You said that you struggled with self-confidence growing up and that insecurity was heightened while you were part of Fifth Harmony, where you were compared to the other members and bullied. How has your experience with Dancing with the Stars and breaking out as a solo artist helped you gain self-confidence, feel empowered, and be fulfilled?
- I believe the hardest moments in our lives shape who we become. What was your greatest challenge, how did you overcome it and what did you learn about yourself in the process?
- What is your best piece of career advice?
Follow Arthur’s journey: