I was recently asked by ZDNET about my top tips for millennial job seekers. Here are my top five:
1. While you’re job searching, do freelance projects so that you can be actively developing your skills and building case studies of your work that you can use to prove your worth to employers.
2. Instead of submitting your resume to a job board, conduct a people search on LinkedIn to see who works at that company and then touch base with them directly to learn more and explore opportunities.
3. Create your own website and do a targeted advertising campaign using Google AdWords or Facebook social ads so that your credentials and name appear to the people who can hire you.
4. Put the computer down and go to industry networking events so that you can meet the right people and stand out in the clutter.
5. Invest the time you spend job searching into your own company so you can create your own income, gain valuable experience and not have to worry about trying to break into a company.
Order your copy of Dan’s latest bestseller Promote Yourself: The New Rules For Career Success.